Humanity is facing its toughest challenge in decades in the form of Corona virus. The pandemic has forced people to avoid travel and stay homes. However, most of the jobs today demand regular engagements and therefore, corporations are finding ways to maintain lockdown norms imposed by different countries and still work. The most workable option has been to work from home. However, most of us are not used to work from home and struggle regularly. Here are the five tips to help you manage yourself and your work better during these times-
- Make a Space – If you find yourself working remotely, especially if for an extended period, the first thing you should do is create a landing spot. That doesn’t mean you always work in the same place, but it does mean that you have somewhere to go when you need to hunker down and get things done. Have a spot where you can feel organized, with all of the tools you need to get work done.
By the way, this shouldn’t be your dining table. That doesn’t mean you can’t get good work done there, but it does mean that you should have at least one place that is set apart just for work. Even if you like working in the middle of the chaos of life, there will come a time when you’ll be glad you have a place to go when you’re facing a deadline or need some time to think.
- Shut the Door – Speaking of having space, it should be one with a door that you can shut. Just like working in an office, remote working has plenty of interruptions–often from your family. Sometimes that can be great, but it’s a good idea to let everyone know that if the door is shut, it’s work time. That’s especially true if your work requires lots of video meetings or phone calls.
- Keep in Touch – When you aren’t working in physical proximity to your team, it takes a little creative thinking and an intentional effort to stay connected. Tools like Zoom, Slack, and MS teams make that relatively easy. The important thing is to make and have the tools in place so that you and your team know how you’re going to communicate.
- Organize Your Day – One of the challenges of working from home is that you’re far more responsible for managing your own workload. That means creating a plan each day. It helps if you create your plan a day in advance. It ensures you get up in the morning in time and go ahead with a plan rather than wondering what to do.
- Turn off the Noise – Finally, when you really have to get work done, it can help to turn off interruptions like notifications. Set your devices to “Do Not Disturb,” and schedule a time to check email and respond to important messages. That will help you stay focused, and not get sidetracked by continuous flow of WhatsApp messages about things that can wait until later.
Now, a lot of this doesn’t remain possible in most of the houses. However, most of the homes in Paarth Arka and Aadyant residential developments have been designed with these requirements in mind. You can always find spaces that you can use to manage your office remotely.